Lead Project Accountant
Building Talent, LLC
- Sacramento, CA
The Lead Project Accountant is a senior-level classification in the Project Accountant job series. This role includes performing monitoring of the progress of projects, investigating variances, reviewing expenses, and ensuring that project billings are issued to customers and payments collected. The Lead Project Accountant supervises the Project accountants and Senior Project Accountants and works under the regular supervision of Revenue and Project Accounting Manager and/or Project Managers.
Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Supervise and manage activities of Project Accountants within assigned region.
- Mastery of project set-up, maintenance, and billing norms and complexities.
- Advises Project Managers and Project Accountants in optimal project/billing set-up for anomalous contracts/client requirements.
- Ensure both Project Accountants and Project Managers adhere to monthly invoice cycle, escalating outliers to appropriate management level.
- Manage project accounting workload spread within assigned region, inclusive of regular evaluation.
- Manage billing for key clients, most complex projects, and/or Project Managers with most dynamic needs within the region.
- Assist Revenue Manager and regional Business Manager in coordinating semi-monthly review of regional financial metrics and tracking information.
- Highly proficient in Deltek functionality related to project billing and financial review, including reporting.
- Review monthly financial reporting for assigned region to assist Business Group Directors with evaluation of key metrics.
- Review, understand and communicate related metrics (e.g. DSO, unbilled revenue)
- Monitor financial aspects of assigned projects, including financial forecasting, revenue recognition, and profitability.
- Manage collections process within the assigned region through regular review of data and strategic use of available resources.
- Proactive communication with Revenue Manager, regional Business Manager, and/or regional Business Group Directors regarding financial risks/trends.
- Ability to communicate effectively with Project Accountants, technical staff, and management (written and verbal).
- Compile information for internal and external auditors, as required.
- Identify Project Accountant and technical staff training needs related to financial management within assigned region and help coordinate.
- Assist in identifying projects requiring project review and gathering related relevant information.
- A bachelor's degree in accounting and/or combination of equivalent education and experience.
- At least seven to ten years of experience in project accounting.
- Knowledge of project contracts and change order documents.
- Good working knowledge of relevant integrated software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of operation of standard office equipment.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Proficient knowledge of the company accounting policies, procedures and accounting software systems.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Experience with project accounting in A/E firm.
- Ability to work with all staff levels and ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with Deltek Vision accounting software preferred.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience working for a private consulting firm, and experience
working for a variety of clients, including public agencies and private clients.
Friday, July 12, 2019