- Van Nuys, CA
Our client, a leading Accredited Testing Lab in the Cannabis industry, is seeking a Controller to join their rapidly growing company in the Los Angeles area.
The Controller will oversee all accounting operations, including the design of an organizational structure, as well as the hiring and supervising the accounting staff.
The controller will be responsible for the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
Responsibilities and Job Description
- This hands-on controller will oversee the operations of the accounting department in a cannabis business, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures.
- Prepare and present investor reports to the board of directors and investment partners.
- Prepare reports for the various regulatory agencies as required by law.
- Ensure accounts payable and accounts receivable are processed in a timely manner.
- Ensure bank reconciliations are completed.
- Maintain the chart of accounts.
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions.
- Issue timely and complete financial statements.
- Coordinate the preparation of quarterly Board presentations.
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations - KPI’s.
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics, manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts.
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management.
- Provide for a system of management cost reports and financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Coordinate the provision of information to external accountants for tax preparation.
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Weekly reviews for all local divisions, and may assist with processing payroll.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) w/audit experience is highly desirable but not required.
- 7-9 years of progressively responsible supervisory-level accounting experience
- Knowledge of IRS Tax Code 280 E highly preferred
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Business Administration, or equivalent business experience required
- Advanced proficiency in Excel
- Experience leading a small Accounting Team
- Must be comfortable working in a highly regulated industry
- Previous accounting experience in the cannabis industry a plus
Salary Range: $100,000 - $125,000 depending on experience, plus health benefits
If this sounds like the position you have been waiting for, please apply using the online application or the link below - all inquiries are strictly confidential. Our focus is to assist you to make your best next career move, and we will not use your information for any other purpose.
CannabizTeam is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. Ind-123
Monday, March 18, 2019
$100-125K Plus Benefits